Born Montreal, 1965
Lived in Toronto, 1981- 1990
Florence Italy, 1990-91
Vancouver, Victoria and Delta BC, 1991 to the present.
In Venice – early 1991
1990-91 – Ontario College of Art (O.C.A), fifth year Post Graduate studies, Florence, Italy, Honours, and Teacher’s assistant.
1984-88 – Ontario College of Art – Fine Arts graduate. Toronto
2013 – Federation of Canadian Artists. Selected by the FCA Board of Governors to receive the status of SFCA. (Senior Signature Status)
2010 and 2011 – Steveston Grandprix of Art”, Steveston, BC, 2nd place award winner. People’s choice award.
1992 – Honorable mention “Images and Objects”, B.C. Festival of the Arts.
1988 – Eric Freifeld Award for figure Draughtsmanship, top drawing award for 4th year studies, O.C.A. Fine Arts.
1988 – O.C.A. Fine Arts Department representative, Governor General Juried Medals Competition. 1988 – Honorary membership – Arts and Letters Club, Toronto.
– Rockford Museum of Art, Rockford, Illinois, USA.
– Vancouver Art Gallery, Canada.
– Courtney Cox and David Arquette, actors, Los Angeles.
– Surrey Art Gallery, British Columbia, Canada.
– Vancouver General Hospital Collection.
– St George’s Senior Boys School Collection, Vancouver, BC.
– Gary Numan, pop star, Los Angeles.
– Manuel Bernaschek, Showcase Pianos/Fazioli, Richmond, BC.
– Dr. Alan Goldstein, New York.
– Magenta Productions, Monique Prudhomme, (Academy Award nominee 2010).
– Michael O’Brien, Vancouver Art Gallery Board of Directors, and of Michael O’Brian Family Foundation.
– Craig D. Friedman MD, Philadelphia, PA. Otolaryngologist.
– John Evans, Hotelier, Opus Hotel, Vancouver.
- Chris Dikeakos, Architect, Vancouver.
- Haebler Construction, Vancouver.
– Eva Harrison, Singapore.
– Dr. S. Scott Mayers, Los Angeles.
– Telus Mobility Corporate Collection, Vancouver, BC.
– Koen and Annelies Lyppens, Holland.
– Joy Language School, Vancouver BC.
– Tyron Leitso, actor, Vancouver/Los Angeles.
– Fraser Mccoll, developer, HRT International, Victoria, BC.
– Robert Munoz and James Razzetti, New York City, New York.
– Lee Hsu, and Shamim Din, Interiors By di’Zai’n, Hong Kong.
– Axemen Resource Capital Ltd., Cal Everett, Vancouver, BC.
– Regimen Capitol, James Livingstone, Vancouver, BC.
– Raj Samtani, Harper Grey LLP.
– Roger Walsh, Vancouver BC.
2016 -Naughty and Nice, new oil paintings and bronzes, Bugera Matheson Gallery, Edmonton.
2016 -Naughty, A survey of oil paintings and bronzes, Gallery 110, Seattle.
2014 -The Lure, new oil paintings and bronzes, Gallery Jones, Vancouver.
2013 -Apologues, Art Gallery at Evergreen, Evergreen Cultural Centre, public retrospective, summer.
2011 -Inspiritus, Gallery Jones, Vancouver.
2010 -All That Glitters, Gallery Jones, Vancouver.
2008 -Water Works, (including Vancouver Opera commission), Gallery Jones, Vancouver.
2007 -Arena, oils on linen, Jan Baum Gallery Los Angeles.
2007 -Not Bound By Realism, oils on linen, Richmond Art Gallery at City Hall, Richmond, BC.
2006 -Bull Works, oils on linen, soapstone sculptures, Gallery Jones, Vancouver
2005 -The Other Side, oils on linen/canvas, gouache on paper, Gallery Jones, 2003 – Power Play, oils on linen, Simon Patrich Gallery, Vancouver.
2001 – Play, oils on linen, Simon Patrich Gallery, Vancouver.
1999 – Transience, oils on linen, Simon Patrich Gallery, Vancouver.
1998 – push pull PoP, oils on linen, Simon Patrich Gallery, Vancouver.
1996 – oPtic-Mystic, oils on linen, drawings, Simon Patrich Gallery, Vancouver.
1995 – In Light of Things, oils on linen and original prints, Simon Patrich Gallery.
1994 – New Works, oils on canvas, Unitarian Church, Vancouver.
1993 – The Promise, oils on canvas, Simon Patrich Gallery, Vancouver.
1992 – Reverence and Reverie, Simon Patrich Gallery, Vancouver.
GROUP EXHIBITIONS (selected)
2016 -Gallery 110 Summer exhibition, Seattle, Washington, USA.
2016 -PUSH – Art Exhibit, Virginia S. Hislop Gallery at Heritage University, Toppenish, Washington, USA.
2015 -‘Over the Counter Culture’, with Phantoms in the Front Yard Artists Collective, Gordon Smith Gallery of Canadian Art.
2015 -‘Views from the Southbank I: Histories, Memories, Myths’, Surrey Art Gallery.
2015 -‘NEW@RAM”, recent acquisitions to the Rockford Art Museum Permanent Collection, FEB 28-OCT 26, 2014.
2015 and 2013 -Hong Kong, Art Fair, Represented by Gallery Jones.
2104 -Shed, HSBC Pendulum Gallery, Phantoms in the Front Yard group show, Vancouver.
2013 -Heartfelt, group print show, Vancouver Print Room.
2013 -LA ART SHOW, Los Angeles Convention Center, LA, USA.
2012 -Singapore – Art Fair, Represented by Gallery Jones.
2010 –Unicef / Unite with Art, Unite for Children, Unite Against Aids, Vancouver, 2008 and 2010.
2007 –Figures and Forces, Jan Baum Gallery, Los Angeles.
2006 – Zeigt in Sommer, Galerie Art Mayence, Mainz, Germany.
2004 – International Art Expo New York, Imogene Editions, Jacob Javitz Center, New York.
1997 – The Canadian Collection at APEC ‘97, Host: Government of Canada, Vancouver.
1995 – Canadians in the 1990’s, Nancy Poole’s Studio, Toronto.
1992 – Images and Objects X, Assembly of B.C. Arts Councils, B.C. Festival of the Arts.
VARIOUS PROJECTS AND AFFILIATIONS
– Artists in the Village Society, Former Board member, Delta BC. 2015-2016
– Coastal Sound Music Academy, honorary patron, 2012 onward.
– Phantoms in the Front yard, figurative artists collective, Member since 2011, included in 9 group shows.
– Guest expert for CBC’s Art Crash Gallery, TV Show, October 2015
– Vancouver Opera Society, Paintings for Salome, Onegin, Rigoletto, and Carmen, Commission. 2009
– Guest Figure Drawing instructor at St. Georges School, 5- 10 days annually since 2006.
– Adjudicator for Painters on the Edge, Federation of Canadian Artists, July 2011.
– Adjudicator for Oil and Water show, South Delta Artists’ Guild , June 2011.
– Adjudicator for Delta Arts Council, 2004, 2002 and 1999.
– Orcas in the City, painted whale, BC Lions Society, 2004.
– Vancouver Art Gallery fundraising, paintings donated periodically since 1994.
– Diamond Centre for Living, Art For Life, featured artist: poster / catalogue cover / invitations in 1999, and frequent annual donations since 1995.
– Splash, Arts Umbrella, fundraising, 1995-2001.
– Guest speaker, Arts week Richmond Art Gallery 2003, 2006.
– MADDfest, Arts adjudicator, Delta Arts Council, 2004, 2002 and 1999.
– Meningitis Research Foundation and B.C. Children’s Hospital, donation of prints, 2002.
– Main Dance, fundraising, donated painted “Love Seat”, Hong Kong Bank, Vancouver, 1994.
– Sexuality Show, curator, Pitt Gallery, Vancouver, 1993.
– Guest speaker, Art for life Arts week Richmond art gallery 2003, 2006.
– Lecturer, ‘Arts Week’, St George’s Private Boys School, Vancouver, 2002, 2004, 2005.
– Lecturer, University of Victoria Continuing Education and School District No. 43, Coquitlam, BC, 2002.
– Interview, VTV evening news, Vancouver BC, Canada, 1998.
– Interview in French for RDI, francophone division, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 1995.
-Mia, Johnson, “Michael Abraham: Apologues”, Preview Magazine and online Preview Magazine. Summer issue, 2013.
-Elana Wolff, Startled Night, published by Guernica Press, book cover image, Toronto, Canada, 2012.
-Art News, full page advertisement, October, 2011.
-Matthew Hoekstra, “Freedom from the real”, review, photos, South Delta Leader, March2, 2007.
-Yvonne Zacharias, “Children of tiny port Simpson pack a big punch”, photo Vancouver Sun, Oct. 2006.
-Dave Willis, “Return from New York prompts creation…”, review/photo, Delta Optimist, Oct. 11, 2006.
-Lloyd Dykk, “Paintings Capture a Magic Realism,” review/photos, The Vancouver Sun, May 28th 2005.
-Vancouver Province, Gallery Listings, caption/photo, May 12th 2005.
-John Mackie, Sarah Reeder; Vancouver: The Unknown City. ISBN 1551521474, pg.108, 1994.
-John Bryant, ”This Reef’s Viewers Stay Dry,” review, The Times Colonist, Victoria, Feb.8th 2004.
-Michael Harris, “Social Criticism Expressed Like a Platter of Gumdrops,” review/photo, Vancouver Sun, May 22nd, 2003.
-Michael Abraham, Sergio Patrich; Power Play: The Paintings of Michael Abraham, 2001-2003, ISBN 0-9732937-0-5, 2003.
-‘Star People’, article, Star (the #1 celebrity news magazine), August 5th, 2003.
-Malcolm Parry, ‘Town Talk’, caption/photo, The Vancouver Sun, June 14th, 2003.
-Michael Scott, “Painter arrests with beyond Rockwellian fancy,” review/photo, The Vancouver Sun, May 10th, 2001.
-Common Ground, cover/article, May 2001.
-‘Around Town’, text/photo, Vancouver Magazine, summer 2001.
-Garden’s Edge by Universal Freak, compact disc cover, Spark Records Inc., 2001.
-Adidas Vancouver International Marathon, posters/promotional material, May 6th, 2001.
-Common Ground, cover/article, April 2000.
-The Optimist, article/photo, Delta BC, 2000.
-Art for Life, signature artist; poster, catalogue cover and invitation cards, October 28th, 1999.
-Arts page header, text/photo, The Vancouver Sun, 1999.
-Illuminaires, poster image, Public Dreams Society, Vancouver BC, summer 1999.
-Modern Painters, advertisement, UK, 1999.
-Canadian Art, advertisement, 1999.
-Arts page header, text/photo, The Vancouver Sun, 1998.
-The Canadian Collection at APEC ’97, ISBN 0-662-63236-2, Pg.15, November 1997.
-X-tra West, text/photo, October 16th, 1997.
-Michael Scott, “Optic Visions,” review/photo, The Vancouver Sun, October 16th, 1996.
-Common Ground, cover/article, May 1996.
-Cozzzzmic review, Ubyssey, University of British Columbia student newspaper, October 1996.
-Peter Wilson, “A Gift From The Fire God,” text/photo, The Vancouver Sun, Oct.31st, 1994.
-Angela Murrills, “Your Guests Could Meet Cupid…” text/photo, Georgia Straight, Oct.21st, 1994.
-‘Art Now’, review, North Shore News, North Vancouver, BC, 1993.
-David Somers, “Tom La Pierre – Arena of the Heart and Mind,” Art Gallery of Peel, pg.10, 1993.
-‘Images and Objects X’, Assembly of B.C. Arts Councils; poster/catalogue cover/invites, 1992.
-Vancouver Symphony Orchestra’s Allegro, cover, October 1992.